Friday, August 7, 2009

Microwave-able

I grew in a smallish town in North Louisiana. So, new businesses are big news! I wasn't totally surprised when my mom called me one day and said, "There's a new funereal home going up south of town on the way home....AND you'll never guess what they have!"

"A Drive-Thru Window"


That's right folks- don't worry about getting out of your car at the visitation to greet the family...Busy day? Just drive-thru and pay your respects.


Do you want fries with that?


I guess that is the ultimate example of the fact that we live in the "microwave" generation. Everything now has directions to do things faster. Cell phones, drive-thrus, online shopping...everything is right at our fingertips. "Have it Your Way." "Fast service" "Super high speed internet" (not that I want THAT to go away!)



I have been struggling lately with wanting it all NOW. That is wanting to know the plan...wanting the answers in life....wanting everything to be "easy."


I came across the quote (via my handy quote-of-the-day thing I keep in my office) and thought this was a perfect reminder.



"If God, like a father, denies us what we want now, it is in order to give us some far better thing later on. The will of God, we can rest assured, is invariably a better thing." - Elisabeth Elliot



We all want a magic 8 ball...a neon sign....or one of those singing message-grams to show up at our door and tell us what we're supposed to do and when we're supposed to do it. Stat! With moving and being in transition, this is especially hard. Not knowing where we will live, what my new job will be like, how Tristyn will like her new daycare, who our friends will be, what our financial situation will be like....shall I go on?


Somehow we like to equate "easy" or "fast" with "good." But that's not always true.


Because I think God doesn't have a microwave.

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Yeah, he is more the slow-cooker type. Or the campfire type. Have a glass of wine and enjoy the aroma of sauteing onions.

The Holland Family said...

I bet He has a cold-wave, though. I hope you haven't given up on your dreams of inventing one, despite all this cake business.