I guess after my last post, I really didn't explain too much regarding Compassion, its bloggers, and why it's been on my heart lately.
I have heard about Compassion for years now. I guess I thought maybe what a lot of people thought...."I'll get around to this eventually..." OR "That's great for some people but we're still paying off (X) and can't really afford it right now" OR "I don't think I would have the time for that kind of commitment."
But finally last summer God stirred our hearts to sponsor a child. Maybe it was because we were due with our own, that made us really realize how grateful we were that our child would be welcomed into the world with plenty of medical care and clean fresh blankets while many others would not. We picked a sweet little boy that is about 6 now, and have his picture on our refrigerator right next to Tristyn, our nieces, and nephew!
God laid it on my heart at the beginning on this year, that I should be more convicted about how I spend my time, my talents, and my resources. I had no idea how this would play out in 2010. After all, I had just given up my "career" that I loved, moved to a small town in Mississippi without a Target or Starbucks :) , and was going back to school. How could God use me?
Then, an advocate application came in the mail. Ok, to be totally fair it was addressed to Brian. And I'm sure that it is standard procedure for all Compassion sponsors to receive this. But it hit a nerve.
A way that I could help children half a world away to get the care they need and hear about Jesus. Hello...I'm in!
I totally felt God's hand guiding me towards the Advocate process for Compassion, even though my worldly thoughts said- wait! Don't you have enough on your plate?
The thing is, I found that being an advocate for Compassion is basically what I was already doing...
Telling people about how awesome it is to sponsor a child. Bragging on Compassion as an organization for their integrity and stability. (at least 80% of all funds goes directly to the child through their local church- amazing!) Encouraging other people to get involved.
My intention is not to turn this blog into a full "sales pitch" for Compassion. As an Advocate, I just agree to tell people about Compassion's programs and help work events sponsored by Compassion. In fact, the organization really doesn't need my help at all. It just needs people willing to respond to Jesus' mandate to help those in need.
I will write about my experiences with Compassion here and again...interspersed with pictures of Tbird, baked goods, and random stories :)
But more than anything, I am so thankful that God opened this door for me to help others- even though He really doesn't need my help at all! I pray that if you aren't sponsoring a child through Compassion or even some other organization....that you will take some time to think about it. It's an awesome way to change a kid's life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Old habits die hard. Keep on sellin', girl!
This sounds wonderful. I want to hear more about it.
Post a Comment