Monday, July 27, 2009

LSU Cake

Well, Summer fun is officially over. I returned from my friend Laura's wedding in Kentucky at least 5 lbs heavier. We ate our way through Lexington- oh my gosh it was good! More about that later. But I was REALLY glad to get home and see Tristyn! (and Brian too of course :)

And special thanks to Honey who stayed at our house and took care of T-bird!! I think they spent lots of time outside and playing with Honey's cell phone. Two of Tristyn's favorite activities!


But on to the actual post:


Did you know that I am an aspiring cake baker/decorator? With BIG emphasis on the ASPIRING part.


My friend Emily works in Baton Rouge and was in charge of a party for one of her co-workers. She asked me to do the cake! It was right before we left to go to D.C. so I felt a bit crazed, but I just can't pass up a cake opportunity.

We went with an LSU theme since of course- it IS Baton Rouge!


Emily took this picture for me of the cake set-up at her office. This was the first cake I've done where I left it as "some assembly required." I gave her all the parts & pieces and she had to set it up herself. Didn't she do a great job?


The cake was vanilla butter cake with vanilla buttercream icing. The accents are fondant. The balls surrounding the cake are chocolate cakeballs covered with purple and yellow melting chocolate. The original design called for fondant, but I wanted them to have as many edible parts of the cake as possible, and most people don't love eating huge balls of fondant :)


I will have to say honestly, that this one was a learning experience for me. This is really my first square cake to icing and incorporate into a design. I think next time I need a BIG icing spatula to really get the icing on the square cake even. I do love the tiger stripes though and Brian gave approval on the LSU logo.


Thanks Emily for your faith in me! Hopefully many more cake posts to come!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

That cake is so cute and so are all of your other cakes! You really are talented!

Emily Raney said...

The cake was so good!! My office devoured the cake in a matter of minutes. Everyone was singing your praises that day. Thank you so much for making the cake for us! It was such a treat!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

So cute, you are too talented it's just not fair! Post the pictures of your other cakes too!

The Holland Family said...

The tiger stripes are very impressive! You really need to open a store in Miss. Just be prepared to do a lot of alligators, roadkill, etc.