This is the same term that we in New Orleans used to describe life post-Katrina. Since I feel like my old life has been blown away suddenly by a hurricane, I only thought it appropriate.
Let's see...where to start?
We are living at the Williamson Cabin which is super cute and rustic and we are so thankful to have space! (maybe more pics of cabin later if you're lucky?) But they don't have Internet access there, plus certain sites are blocked on the school computers/church....did you know that hotmail and Old Navy's Baby department will set off the filters??.....so our connection to the outer world has been limited.
Second, I started by new position as a teacher's assistant this week which has been nothing short of culture shock. It is a rural school in a small town that has one red light. I have learned to say "walk in the halls," "don't push!" "make sure to push your chair under!" and the cardinal rule of all teacher-dom: use lots of hand sanitizer. It is a very far cry from walking to get coffee in the French Quarter and client meetings.
I also had my first night class for grad school last night, which I might say is the only thing that has felt naturally comfortable! I know class and school- I can do that! Everything else has definitely been a work in progress.
But in spite of feeling much like a fish out of water, I am so grateful for our church family who has loved and encouraged us through this time of transition. They barely know us and yet are so faithful to check on us and see how we are faring- both emotionally and physically!
We are looking forward to Labor Day weekend coming up when we will make the trek to Ruston to visit Honey & Papa and see lots of old friends! It will definitely be a restful and much-needed break after a crazy first week as citizens of Brookhaven- exploring our "new normal."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I will be praying for you as you make the transition into a profession that you will learn to love! You have the heart for it and I know those children and your new collueges(sp?) will love you! But if IS hard being the new kid on the block. Hope sweet Tristyn is doing well! Enjoy your trip home to Ruston!
Post a Comment