Friday, July 13, 2012

A year in cakes!


I guess it has been awhile since I've blogged because they have changed the whole interface and it took me about 10 minutes just to figure out how to upload pictures. Not to mention that I got frustrated and ended up "selecting" them all out of the order I wanted. Oh well. One day I suppose they will "idiot proof" this process!! :)

On another note....here are the cakes I've been doing while I haven't been blogging this year! yay!

This is Trissy's 3rd bday cake. A grand extravaganza of a cake for not-so-big a party. I tend to go overboard. What can I say? I think I have learned my lesson for this year though. (*think*)
A Sweet sixteen cake I did for a girl in our church.
(note to self...take better pictures without wierd chair top in back)


Our pastor's daughter had a princess party (seems to be the theme here huh? :) and I did her cake and the cookies below. Her mother (unlike me) was very reasonable and asked for an 8" round cake for the party which was the PERFECT amount for just 8 little girls plus family. (another note to self!!!)



A little boy in our church whose Buzz Lightyear cake I made before was having a fishing party (cute idea!) and of course wanted a "fish cake!" I made the fish out of rice krispies and covered it in fondant. Then I painted it and added some luster dust. The boys had a TON of fun eating that fish!!


To go with the fish cake abover (and for ease of eating cake while carrying a fishing pole :) his mom also asked me to make cupcakes. We just stuck the bobbers on top - don't worry....they were washed thoroughly beforehand!!

Our music minister's son was having a sports- theme party and his mom had seen a cake on pinterest she wanted me to copy. In hindsight, I wish that I had added a banner on it or something, but I was still pleased with how it turned out.


Our adorable neice Corinne's 2nd bday cake! Gotta love Elmo!!


Sweet 16 cake for a fun girl in our church who wanted a polka-dot lightsabre for her bday cake! Love it! I made the yoda head with the extra cake as a little surprise on the side.


Our friend Jackson's Bubble Guppies cake! Characters are always a bit daunting, but this was really fun to do. (Trissy also enjoyed my "research" since that meant she got to watch Nick Jr. Anyone else have Direct TV right now and unable to watch?? Our lives without Dora and the Fresh Beat Band are dull and gray ;)

I have no idea what each of their names are because Tris is more into princesses and Dora...






Jackson's little sister, Macy Caroline was born not too long after his party and this is her baby shower cake! I had never made the fondant baby shoes before a was fairly pleased.



This is the most recent cake I've done...a racecar cake for Lawson, a kid at our church. This pic was taken before his mom brought me the hotwheels that I put on top.  Super cute!


There was one last cake I made that I lost pictures of because they were on my old phone that didn't make it through the rainstorm. Here is Scarlett's picture of the Mary Poppins Hat cake that was supposed to have a 2nd layer on the bottom. I have seriously NEVER had a cake layer disintegrate like that one did before.

Hence the cupcakes that we whipped up around 1am (Brian hung in there with me at Wal-Mart to get the stuff! Crazy night!!!)



In other news, I have decided that blogging is worth it because I loooove looking back at what our family was doing during certain times. I will TRY to blog more regularly, not to reach major readership goals (hi mom :) but just to record our life. Let's face it....I am NOT going to scrapboook, so this is the next best thing!

4 comments:

Lora said...

Is that ALL you've done??? JUST KIDDING!!!! NEVER cease to be amazed at how talented you are! Love You!

Scarlett Pourciau said...

Your mom isn't your only reader! Love this post. All the cakes are beautiful and I can vouch that the Poppins cake was also delicious!

Grammie said...

Count me in as a faithful reader. It was so good seeing all of your cakes in one blog. Wonderful!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Ok, YAY you blogged! Also, Yay, you are freakishly talented. Seriously...bubble guppies. You are amazing.